The Dodge RAM was first introduced to the market in 1981 by Stellantis North America. At the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan, the current fifth-generation Ram made its premiere. So far, it has won many awards as it is one of the best RAM trucks in the market.
In this article, we will discuss a significant issue which is Dodge RAM 1500 starting problems. Many owners of Dodge RAM trucks keep asking this question, which leads us to write an explanation including a fix for this problem.
Reasons for Dodge RAM 1500 starting problems.
When a Dodge Ram 1500 struggles to start, it’s most likely due to a dead battery or an issue with the starter motor. If the battery resting voltage is below 12.4 volts, this might be a clue that there is a problem with the battery.
When you attempt to start your automobile, and there is no sound, it is most likely a battery issue. If the starting motor makes a clicking or grinding noise, you may have a problem. Since loose wires might create an incomplete connection, always check the connections on your battery and starter.
When discuss about Dodge RAM 1500 Starting Problems, this is the one of the major matters among the RAM users.
If your RAM 1500’s starter won’t start at all or starts slowly, it might be due to a low or dead battery. Loading capacity is affected by temperature, for example. However, there may be other reasons for a vehicle’s ignition system to fail.
A quick fix.
You can get up and running in four easy steps:
- Donor and RAM 1500 batteries are connected to each other via a red connection.
- The negative pole of the vehicle and the donor battery are both attached to the black cable’s other end.
- For those who don’t have an engine block or car body, you may alternatively attach a black (negative) cable to these areas.
- In order to avoid damaging the battery, you should connect this connection as far from it as feasible.
- Begin the engine by clicking the donor battery.
Changing the battery will also help.
Make sure you have the correct size pliers and wrenches.
- Turn off all of the car’s electrical equipment.
- Remove the negative pole’s attaching nut.
- Remove the positive terminal’s fastening screw.
- Remove the battery by unplugging the battery holder.
- Replace the battery and secure it with the bracket.
- Connect the positive pole to the positive terminal.
- Connect the negative pole to the earth clamp.
Power supply issues.
When look at the Dodge RAM 1500 Starting Problems, this problem also happens lot of time.
The power supply has been cut off. Your car’s electrical supply may be disrupted. It’s critical to determine if the problem is caused by sharp marten teeth or an oxidized earth wire.
A quick fix.
- Examine the cables and wiring beneath the hood to determine if they have been damaged.
- You may be able to repair the power supply yourself if there is no apparent damage: detach the ground wire, grind it bare, and coat it with pole grease.
- Replacing the cables is a simple matter of tightening the screws.
Fuel pump or injection issues.
Fuel may be delayed or injected in the incorrect quantity due to a poorly calibrated pump. We offer a modest handbook for diesel owners who have some prior expertise.
A quick fix.
- Remove the hood.
- Remove the pump’s lines and release the nuts.
- Find the first piston’s top dead center. The markings on the gears on the front of the motor can help you identify it.
- Adjust the pump to a fifteen-degree angle from TDC.
- Remove the line from the first cylinder on the pump and crank the motor to verify.
- You’ve done it correctly if the first diesel drop appears when the piston is fifteen degrees from TDC.
Injection pump repair.
If the issues remain after the injection pump has been turned off, it might simply be not very accurate. You should attend a workshop in this scenario.
Our starter’s emergency suggestion does not prohibit you from attending a workshop in the first place. You may be able to drive yourself to the mechanic and avoid having your vehicle towed.
A quick fix.
- With the use of a lifting platform, locate the starter (which is concealed deep in the engine compartment between the gearbox and the engine).
- To restart the little electric motor, softly tap the starter with a hammer.
Gasoline leaking issues.
That’s about the worst thing that can happen to your automobile — not because of the vehicle’s damage or the fact that it won’t start, but because of the significant environmental harm. The gasoline leak might be caused by a variety of factors, including leaking connections, broken hoses, and rusted fuel filters.
A quick fix.
- Binders or sawdust may be used to clean up spilled gasoline.
- Make a call to your workshop. Only trained specialists should work on gasoline lines.
Other possible issues.
We’ve now discussed the most common issue related to the starting problems of Dodge RAM 1500. Here are some other causes for this reason which may help you with the fixing.
- Start-up issues may be caused by a variety of factors.
- The car’s electrical system has failed.
- The alternator is broken.
- Filters or pipes for gasoline are clogged.
- The ignition coils have been damaged.
- The gasoline pump is either broken or underpowered.
- Ignition broken.
FAQs about Dodge RAM 1500 Starting Problems.
How do I get my Ram 1500 out of limp mode?
Stopping and shifting to the park is required to pull the Dodge Ram 1500 out of limp mode. Please turn off the vehicle and wait 30 seconds before turning it back on to get it out of limp mode. Connect the negative battery cable after around 20 minutes of disconnection.
How do you reset the computer on a Dodge Cummins?
Replace the negative cable clamp on the negative battery terminal and use the end wrench to tighten the nut. Turn the key in the ignition and start the car. Ensure that all service and warning lights have been turned off on the instrument panel. If this is the case, the computer has been reset.
Will touching battery cables together reset the computer?
When you connect the battery cables and drain the capacitors, the clock loses its memory, the radio stations must be reprogrammed, all fault codes must be cleared, the outside temperature must be reprogrammed, any systems with security codes must be reprogrammed, and the computer must be reprogrammed.
Where is the PCM located?
The PCM is usually found at the fuse box in the engine bay or inside the automobile near the fuse box. It’s also common to find it beneath various coverings under the front windshield. The PCM may be installed in a few different places depending on the manufacturer, but the engine compartment is the most typical.
We hope you’ve got the answer that you’ve needed for the question, “Dodge RAM 1500 Starting Problems” reading our explanation. If you have more questions just leave a comment below, and we are really straightforward to help you further. If you need any answers for engine matters, check this link for it. Thank you.